Saturday, October 29, 2011

Oh, what a night!
The Milwaukee Press Club honored me with induction into the Hall of Fame, last night and I could not be prouder.  People get lots of awards in their careers, but to be selected by my peers was one of the highlights.

I thank my family, Pat and Wendy for attending.  My tennis buddies, Burnette, Essie and Doris and most of all, the very best "stories" I have produced, my sons J-B and Christopher.

I also salute the other 2011 inductees: Lance Herdegen, whom I have known since he worked at UPI; Willie Davis, whom I admire for making such a successful career change; E.C. Reynolds, with whom I never had the chance to work on stories ( but never say never!) and Mike Miller, who is the only Milwaukee TV journalist to have worked at 3 stations, and lived to tell about it.

Speaking of Mike (Murph, as he is sometimes called), he used to have the desk in front of mine in the WITI newsroom. He kept many of us laughing when we were supposed to be working and was a joy to anchor with. He brought along an old newspaper ad of the two of us to the HOF dinner, last night and boy, did we look like kids!  Mike, of course, never ages even though he is a grandfather now and about to welcome two more grandchildren. Mary Ann has been the lucky "better half" of Mike all these years and he is lucky to have such a patient and understanding BFF.

Also honored posthumously, were Packer photographer Vernon Biever and reporter and PR director Roger Jaynes.

OK, this is getting a little sappy now, but graditude and humility are qualities I am working hard to perfect.
Besides, Mike and E.C. did all the sniffling last night, so I did not have to!


No comments:

Post a Comment